After you must have thrilled the interview panelists with your presentation and appearance, they could be compelled to ask you this question “Why do you want to leave your current job.”
The essence of this question is to enable the hiring manager or team to identify critical reasons for attracting you to the organization and what you have to offer. So in this guide, we shall offer tips to answer this question and explain “why do you want to leave your current job.”
How to answer the question,” Why do you want to leave your current job”
Whether you are attending a job interview in Canada, the US, the UK, etc., you should consider these factors when answering the question “Why do you want to leave your current job” before a hiring manager or team.
#1. Identify your goals and opportunities
Before an interview, you should identify at least three career goals you wish to achieve and how the hiring organization can help you achieve them. It could be the fast-paced environment, working culture, career framework, access to resource persons, etc.
#2. Be brief with your response
Let your response be concise and meaningful, then emphasize qualities that make you most suitable for the job.
#3. Be Positive
You should avoid giving negative reasons for leaving your current job, be positive, and emphasize the need to grow and explore a bigger environment aligning perfectly with your career goals. You can also leverage the portfolio and co-worker relations you have built in your previous job. This could be how you have used your problem-solving skills to achieve numerous results and the need to explore a more challenging working environment for a robust career experience.
#4 Give verifiable reasons
You should not give false information about your current job, especially negative ones, because you want to impress the hiring team. The company can verify your claim; it can cost you the job if found untrue.
Top reasons a hiring manager or team asks, “Why do you want to leave your current job.”
These are the top things a hiring manager desire to know when the question is asked.
- Your aims and objectives for the new job
- What you have to offer
- Your consciousness, integrity, and administrative discipline
- How prepared you are and what you desire from the new job.
Possible Answers To “Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job”
Depending on your situation, you can provide any of the following responses during an interview session with a little explanation, if necessary.
- The company had to fold due to unfavorable government policies.
- I want a career path that aligns with my profession and passion.
- I want to seek a more promising opportunity.
- I switched locations for security or other critical reasons.
- I strongly desire to build my career with this reputable organization, and now is the best time to cross over the counter.
- I am passionate about learning more.
Meanwhile, you should avoid providing answers like the ones listed below in such scenarios.
- I am not pleased with the working culture of my current job
- The remuneration package is poor and discouraging
- The working environment is boring and unfavorable to my career projections
- I couldn’t cope working beyond my official working hours
What are the best reasons for leaving a job?
Here are some top reasons you could conceal leaving your current job.
- Career growth and development
- A fast-paced and more challenging working environment
- More favorable working conditions
- Security or family reasons
- Merger or purchase of your organization.
Download templates for sample answers