Have you recently accepted a job offer, but on second thought, you decided to reject it? Or are you wondering how to decline a job offer after accepting it? If yes, this article will provide you with possible tips for declining a job after acceptance while keeping your doors open for better opportunities.
It is essential you have a critical review of a job offer with genuine reasons before declining it. This way, you could open your doors for either negotiations or better opportunities from the organization.
How do I decline a job offer after accepting it?
Declining a job offer after acceptance is not a big deal but should be avoided to maintain a healthy relationship with employers. In addition, you must be calm, careful, and attentive to details when reviewing a job offer to make an informed decision about the offer.
You can use the tips below to help decline a job offer professionally.
#1. Have a Critical Review
You should have a comprehensive knowledge of the job offer and spot the unfavorable parameters of the offer. You can also contact experts to help review the offer and offer professional advice.
#2. Don’t waste time
Once you are convinced of your decision to reject the job offer, you should immediately contact the hiring Manager to seek a replacement or possibly review the offer if your reasons are genuine and compelling.
#3. Be diplomatic and sincere
You should express yourself in a way that shows your sincere intention and willingness to work with the organization but how the unfavorable conditions prevented you. You should also be truthful and let your reasons be verifiable.
#4. Be brief
You should not make your explanation lengthy; rather, be concise by highlighting the possible reasons for the rejection. Let the employer do the exegesis to the points. Read also how to find a Job you love.
How To Decline A Job Offer After Accepting in Writing
Before writing a rejection offer, you can call the employer to initiate the process before confirming it in writing. This is best if your reasons for rejecting the offer are negotiable.
Meanwhile, you can follow the steps below to write a rejection for a job offer after accepting it. However, ensure you have not signed any employment contract before declining the offer.
- Start by writing your name, address, and date at the left corner of the writing pad.
- Then on the same corner, move down at least a line spacing and write the hiring manager’s name and address.
- Proceed to salutation, which should be in this form Dear (hiring manager’s name )
- Express your gratitude to the organization for considering you for the offer and how excited you were about it.
- Politely state with genuine reasons why you are rejecting the offer.
- You should wish the organization the best and assurance of any career assistant within your reach. But if you decline the job after acceptance with the intention of negotiations, you can express your readiness to accept the job offer if reviewed and favorable.
- Close the letter with yours sincerely; many thanks, best regards, etc.
Find below a sample of a job offer rejection letter after acceptance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I reject an offer after signing it?
You might be breaching the contract agreement by rejecting a signed job offer. Ensure you understand the terms and conditions of the offer before taking any decision.
How late can you decline a job offer?
You should not wait more than forty-eight hours to decline a job offer.
Ensure you are calm to review a job offer comprehensively before taking any decision. This is because declining a job after acceptance could hinder career progression.